Brown's Tag Agency to offer REAL IDs beginning Oct 14

by Charles Gerian

It's about to get “REAL,” according to Kathleen Brown, the owner of Brown's Tag Agency at 401 S. Main Street.

The tag agency will begin issuing REAL ID driver’s licenses starting Oct. 14.

Those who plan to fly domestically or access federal facilities and military bases after Oct. 1, 2021 must have a REAL ID-compliant license, identification card, or another acceptable form of identification, such as a passport or passport card.

Those who already have a passport are asked to wait to obtain a REAL ID-compliant license until their current driver’s license expires.

“It's a better system to keep up with U.S. citizens,” Brown said. “It's an easy and consolidated way to verify citizenship and residency.

“The REAL ID requires specific documentation for an ID to be issued, so we're encouraging those who want to alleviate their wait time to visit to view the required documentation. Once they go through that process, our office will issue a paper license, and the actual license will be mailed.

“If your ID isn't expiring and your passport isn't, you might not need to or want to get a REAL ID,” Brown said.

Brown explained that those applying for a REAL ID will need to provide proof of identity and lawful presence in the U.S. They may prove this by providing an original or certified copy of their birth certificate, consular report of a birth abroad, unexpired permanent residence card, unexpired employment authorization card, naturalization certificate, unexpired U.S. passport, certificate of citizenship, or a valid, unexpired foreign passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. Visa and matching 1-94 form issued by the Department of Homeland Security.

If the applicant’s name is different from the documentation provided due to marriage, adoption, divorce, or other reasons, the applicant will need to provide additional documents with legal proof of every name change, Brown said. These documents include marriage certificates and licenses, adoption paperwork, court-ordered divorce decrees, or a spouse’s death certificate that includes a connection to the applicant’s current legal name.

Proof of an applicant’s Social Security number must also be identified. An applicant should show his or her Social Security card, non-SSA 1099 form, current W-2 or 1099 showing the full SSN, or a current pay stub showing the SSN.

Applicants must also provide two forms of proof of a current Oklahoma address with both their names and addresses matching the documents. Examples include: high school transcripts, motor vehicle registration papers, tribal titles or licenses, tax returns, homeowner insurance policies, and more. A full list can be found at

Brown's Tag Agency is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The agency is also open the first Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Customers do not need to make an appointment. The agency can be reached via phone by calling 580-363-1135.